Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Jason's Awards and Stats for 2014 In Pictures

In 20122011 and 2010, I did a post about some awards that I made up and some stats about the daily posts.  Last year I was just way too busy (three very little kids will do that, apparently), so I had to skip it.  This year, I'm still really busy, but not quite as much as last year, so I squeezed it in.  So without further ado, here are my awards and stats for 2014 in Pictures! 

Best Write-Up:
Pants Are Useful (2/10/14)

Top 5 Titles (in chronological order): 
  1. Johnson County Choppers (1/18/14) - We don't do custom motorcycles in our family, but we do do cooking. 
  2. Bugs, Barbers, Burgers, and Bears (6/7/14) - I like alliteration, but it's hard to make it work for four words that are all applicable to a post.  I lucked into this one, but I'll take it.  
  3. Rub a Dub Dub Only Two Kids in a Tub (8/14/14) - I'm not sure if Hannah is the butcher, the baker, or the candlestick maker.
  4. A Family Connection in Connecticut (8/20/14) - Connection and Connecticut should not have the same first eight letters, but they do, so I made a post title based on it. 
  5. Hooty and the Unselfish (11/16/14) - Darius Rucker approves.

Top 5 Best Photography (in chronological order):
  1. Pi(e) Day (3/14/14) - Even though the four pictures are too wide for the format of the blog, I had to include them, as they captured the series of Hannah's facial expressions.
  2. Parks and Parties (5/2/14) - As the unofficial photographer of the main event of the party, I knew I had to make sure I captured Barb's face as she first walked into the room and realized what was happening and that Mark had pulled of an amazing surprise.
  3. Date Day in the Park (6/20/14) - This one isn't about the photography itself, but instead is about the resulting picture and the subjects in it.  That final picture of the post is a great picture showing Clara and Meghan.
  4. You and Me and Baby Makes Three (8/2/14) - I wanted to get a picture of Hannah walking along holding my hand, but I was the only one available to take it, which resulted in me somewhat awkwardly holding the camera down low out in front of me at a weird angle to take a picture of Hannah when I couldn't see what was on the screen.
  5. Springing Forward into Fall (11/2/14) - We successfully capture the time-lapse of Joshua jumping into the leaf pile. 

Worst Photography:
The picture of me from Rocking Out '90s Style (8/1/14) - I only needed to get one decent picture of me at this concert, and that was the best I could do?


Top 5 Coolest Visuals (in chronological order):
  1. Good Friday (4/18/14) - This might be more specific to me personally, but though Meghan always looks good, she looks amazing in this picture.
  2. The pool picture(s) from A Day at the Beach, Plus Some Pool Time (5/5/14) - The pictures of the pool are almost psychedelic.  The lighting was cool at the time in the pool, but it looked way better from up above from where we took these pictures.
  3. The last picture from Dads and Kids Playdate (6/14/14) - I love the view of Joshua climbing against the backdrop of the setting sun and the clouds.
  4. The drone picture from Fun, Family, and Fireworks (7/4/14) - Going into this year, I did not expect our blog would have a picture taken by a drone.  It gives a perspective that you'd never otherwise see.
  5. A Beautiful Cold (11/13/14) - I love the effect the giant snowflakes create as they fall all around me.

Best Facial Expression (in chronological order): 
The bear-hugging picture from Bugs, Barbers, Burgers, and Bears (6/7/14) -This makes me laugh every time I see it.

Worst Facial Expression: 
It's World Cup Time! (6/22/14) - Yeah, not flattering.

Most Informative Post: 
A Family Connection in Connecticut (8/20/14) - This blog is educational!

Saddest Post: 
Saying Goodbye to Terrence (7/6/14) - This was pretty devastating to us.

Best Alternative Ways to Obtain a Picture for the Blog (in chronological order):
  1. The weather forecast picture from Prepping for the Cold (1/4/14) - I took a screenshot from my phone to use as this picture.
  2. The drone picture from Fun, Family, and Fireworks (7/4/14) - David took a couple of screenshots from the video the drone took, and this was one of them.
  3. The dumping water picture from Ice Bucket Challenge (8/24/14) - Meghan was recording the video of the event, so she couldn't also take a picture at the moment the water splashed over me, so I played the video on my phone, paused it, and took a screenshot of that, which became this picture.
Best Unexpected Innovation: 
My Little Dare Devil (9/8/14) - Go back and look at this post.  Meghan took these series of photos, and Google noticed they were a time-lapse and automatically created the animated GIF for her, so we included it in the post.  Fun!

Biggest Blog Blunder
Check out the post from March 31st.  Oh wait.  You can't.  That's because when going through the blog at the end of the year we realized we somehow missed a day.  We're not sure how that happened, because normally we're so on top of it, but it did.  That's literally the only day out of the last 1,826 days for which we do not have a post.  

Best Blog Trend:
This is not new to this year, but over the past couple years we've continued to have longer and longer posts with more and more pictures.  We still have plenty with only one picture, and there are a few with only a few lines of description, but it's a sharp contrast from how the blog looked in 2010.

Speaking of that...

Most Words:
Making the Most of Our Final Day (5/9/14) - 931 words

Fewest Words:
Superstar! (4/24/14) - 34 words

Most Pictures:
Most People As the Subjects of the Picture:

Some Nerdy Stats:


Posts by Meghan:211
Posts by Jason:153
The last time we had a disparity this big, it was the other way around and it was because Meghan was pregnant.  I was not pregnant this year, so I have no excuse other than laziness.  Okay, I take that back.  I just now checked last year, when no one was pregnant, and she blogged a lot more than I did, so I guess it's now just a general trend.


In each post we tag the people in it, as well as our own pets. Here’s the breakdown on the number of posts in which each person or furry friend appeared, among those who made at least two appearances. Ties are broken by the alphabet, not by how much we love you.

Joshua248
Clara220
Hannah205
Jason135
Meghan86
Terrence20
Benjamin19
Natalie18
Ron18
Peg15
Julie14
Bob13
Jean13
Andrew11
Barb9
Mark8
Halie8
Joanna7
Brent5
Matt5
Michelle5
Christine4
Hadley4
Jason K.4
Jim4
Abby3
David3
Dylan3
Elle3
Hudson3
Sam3
Tucker3
Callie2
Deb2
Jason H.2
Kirk2
Oliver2

Sadly, Alex only had 1, so he didn't even make the cut.  We see him at night, but he tends to make himself scarce when the kids are around.

And as we did last year, this year we tagged each post with the state where the picture was taken if it was somewhere other than Kansas, solely so I could do this exact list, because I’m curious about dumb things like this. Here’s the breakdown:


Kansas306
Missouri21
Utah4
Alabama3
Minnesota3
Nevada3
Colorado2
Michigan2
Texas2
Connecticut1
Arizona1
Arkansas1
Illinois1
Kentucky2
Oregon1
Ohio1


There you have it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment