Friday, March 14, 2014

Pi(e) Day


Today is Pi Day. That's because the mathematical constant, pi (π), which is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, starts with 3, 1, and 4. The average person knows the value of pi to be 3.14, but it's actually an irrational number with an infinite number of digits to the right of the decimal point.  My grandpa, who more than anyone else inspired my love of and interest in mathematics, has it memorized to 50 decimal places.  I once knew it out that far, but in thinking about it right now, I can only make it out to 40.  I'll probably make it a goal of mine to learn 50 again.  Anyway, because today is March 14, or 3/14, it's celebrated by some people as Pi Day.  Meghan is a math major, and although her actual interest in math is much less than mine, she still appreciates the fun of Pi Day.  I hadn't mentioned anything about it to her, but I was excited to get home from work today to see that she had made us little pies decorated with the approximation of pi.  What's extra great about these cakes is pi is not actually equal to 3.14, as I mentioned above.  But it is approximately equal to it.  And the mathematical symbol for "approximately equal" is the squiggly equal sign () which is exactly what she used, making it a mathematically-correct equation.  I love her.  Anyway, they were mostly a hit, with Meghan, Clara, Joshua, and I all enjoying them:
By the way, Joshua's funny face there is what he did when I said "Smile!".  Instead of doing a natural, normal smile, he came up with that face, which I love.  So we almost all liked it, but one person didn't.  Hannah somehow doesn't like strawberries.  We don't know how this tragedy happened, but it did.  So she had a vastly different reaction:

We ended up giving her some marshmallows so she could have something she liked, and we then redistributed the remainder of hers to Joshua and Clara, who were glad to reap the benefits of Hannah's strange dislike. So in the end, everyone was able to enjoy a tasty treat to celebrate this great holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment