Saturday, January 18, 2014

Johnson County Choppers

Joshua just loves helping with anything in the kitchen. Sometimes it is too much for me to handle/manage while also preparing dinner so I don't allow him to help. But many times I can find something for him to do. Recently I have been helping him work on cutting skills and this week I let him use a sharp knife for the first time. Before I had only given him a butter knife, but that is frustrating for him for most things because butter knives won't cut much of anything with a lot of force and he isn't a moron so he knows when he isn't actually cutting. So I bought him some really small paring knives that are a good size for him. He still can't cut really hard things like sweet potatoes or even regular potatoes. But this is great for softer things like garlic or herbs or onions. He is doing really well with it and so far has been very careful with it and listened to all my safety instructions. The main challenge is he often forgets which side is the cutting side so that is something we are working on. Some of the kids' knives I considered had cute little drawings on them to help kids with that. Like I think there was a shark with a fin on the top and other things like that. But all the reviews for those said they were no sharper than a butter knife so I didn't think it would work well. He has really gotten much better at dicing even in the short time he has been working on it, so I think he will figure it all out relatively quickly, though I think it will be quite some time before he is ready to cut anything harder or move to a larger knife because I think that requires thought processes he isn't ready for yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment