Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Carson Daly's Rockin' Eve?

Some year on New Year's Eve I might not actually still be awake at midnight.  Or maybe not.  My mom is up at midnight every year, so it's certainly possible to continue to do so, and adding in my natural night-owl-ness, and I might be up till midnight every year for the rest of my life.  I guess it probably also depends on Meghan.  If at some point she can't/won't stay up, and if we're the only two in the house, it seems like a sad party if I'm the only one up.  So we'll see.  But regardless, this year we made it without much problem.  We watched some TV after the kids went to bed, and then tuned into what we thought was the show formerly known as Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve (even though he passed away a couple years ago) and found Carson Daly and some terrible comedian girl along with Jane Lynch and Anthony Anderson (from Law & Order, among other things), which was not a good combo.  Carson did great, and Lynch was reasonably amusing.  Anderson was fine, though not funny, but he wasn't trying.  But the girl (I had to look her up to find out her name is Natasha Leggero) and was trying too hard to be funny and was failing.  (Incidentally, although it was before we started watching, she apparently made a joke about WWII vets and has since refused to apologize.)  I noticed it wasn't called Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve anymore, which given the programming, I thought Dick Clark would have been happy to be disassociated with it.  Only after midnight did I check the other channels and notice that Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve is still a show, and Ryan Seacrest is hosting it.  I should have remembered this, as I know he co-hosted it with Clark for several years as Clark's health was declining.  So for no good reason we watched the second-tier show at midnight, but it was probably fine, as there's only so much entertainment such a show can provide anyway.  I really just want to see the ball drop on exactly a one-hour tape delay.  And I got that, so I guess it all worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment