Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Detoxing

When we travel, we try not to eat too badly. And, though there are times McDonald's is pretty much the only option, we generally maintain a balance over the course of a trip. I really like eating out when the food is good. However, after over a week away, I am definitely ready to eat at home. The thing that really just makes me feel terrible after that long is the sodium. There is so much more sodium in processed and restaurant food than what you make at home. I read an interview with the editor of Cook's Illustrated today that is an interesting read just generally, but in it he says that 95% of your sodium intake occurs outside your house. I don't know if that is true, but I wouldn't be surprised and there is definitely a huge difference in what we eat here versus not. So I am so glad to be back in my kitchen and eating healthier and fresher. Maybe the kids agree. Even chicken-nugget-loving Hannah ate all her salmon tonight and that is quite unlike her.

1 comment:

  1. That's a really interesting article. I love eating out, but I agree with you, I feel gross after being on vacation and eating it so much- even restaurant food and not just fast food. We still eat out a decent amount but I think we are much better than we used to be.

    ReplyDelete