Sunday, June 22, 2014

It's World Cup Time!


There are few sporting events more important to me than the US Men's National Team games in the World Cup.  I love playing soccer more than almost any other activity, and I love watching our games in the World Cup more than about anything.  This is probably hard to fathom for some, but I'd give up watching a K-State (non-national championship) bowl game over a USMNT World Cup game.  It's probably roughly equivalent to seeing K-State play in a conference championship game, which is a big deal.  The World Cup just happens so rarely (every four years), and there are so few games for the US (every team plays at least three, but only a handful play more than five), that it's just a rare and special event.  Last World Cup we won our group in dramatic fashion before being eliminated in the Round of 16 by Ghana.  This year we avenged the Ghana loss by beating them in the first game.  Today was a critical game against Cristiano Ronaldo, one of the top two players in the world, and Portugal.  I asked Meghan to take a picture of me watching the World Cup so I could post about it, but right as she was taking the picture, Portugal very nearly scored, which nearly caused me to die of panic and stress.  Normally I try to avoid unflattering pictures on this blog, and this isn't exactly my best, but it did capture a genuine reaction at the time, which is pretty cool, so I'll let it slide.  We ended up tying Portugal after giving up a last-minute (literally, there were about 20 seconds left) goal.  But we still have a lot of ways for us to advance after our game against Germany on Thursday.  I'm hoping for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment