Sunday, June 1, 2014

Discount Fun

This summer we have been hitting Craigslist fairly hard to find bikes for our family as well as a few other things. Certain things I am willing to buy new. Other things aren't worth it to buy on craigslist because with careful attention to sales, you can get a brand new one for the same price people ask for a used one. But many things, especially kids toys, are great to buy used. We recently got rid of our "jumping chair", which was a chair that was cheap and poorly made even when it was brand new 11 years ago. It had been demoted to our jumping chair a few years ago, but all the jumping caused the lining to rip, exposing the springs, making the chair unsafe for jumping. However, I really wanted to replace it with something that the kids could jump on indoors to get out energy. So I decided I wanted a toddler trampoline. This is definitely something I wanted used. My goal for Craigslist is to pay about 50% of the cost of a new one. Garage sales are cheaper than that, though they aren't something I normally do because my time is valuable enough that I don't feel the best use of it is driving around town hoping to find the one good thing that people are selling amidst the piles of trash. But our neighborhood garage sale was this weekend and someone on our street was selling this trampoline so we immediately bought it. I am really thrilled with this purchase because it was about 25% of the cost of a new one and it seems to be in great condition and the kids are really enjoying it so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment