Saturday, May 31, 2014

Mudfest

I love going to rock concerts, but there's one every year that I can count on and that I go to if I'm available, and that's Rockfest, put on by 98.9. I went a couple times in high school, but then didn't go for awhile after that, but eight or nine years ago I started going again. It's the biggest one-day music festival in America, which is saying something. They usually have 12 hours of 15 or so bands on two stages with increasing attendance every year. This year they increased the capacity to allow for 55,000 people, and it sold out. It's held on the grounds of the Liberty Memorial (there was a period of a few years when it was at Sandstone, which coincided with when I wasn't going, but then they brought it back to Liberty Memorial). The band line-up this year was not great, at least for my tastes: Korn, 5FDP, Staind, Steel Panther, Black Label Society, etc. But I love being there, so I'll generally go no matter who the bands are.

This year was a bad combination of weather events, as it rained in the morning, so the entire place was a mud pit.  I think my shoes might be ruined (I wore old ones just in case), and my shorts are going to need some heavy duty cleaning.  I had mud on my face and in my hair, but not as bad as most people.  There were impromptu mudslides and mud wrestling matches.  The rain had stopped by the time I arrived, and it was oppressively humid and quite hot, but I fought through it, and by the early evening it had cooled off enough to have a great finish to the day.  It was a super fun time for me, and I'll again plan to go next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment