Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Just One Small Catch...


Normally when I have a hotel room booked for work, it was one that I booked online. This means it was done with my profile, which includes my status. I'm SPG Platinum with the Starwood properties, which is their top level, so there's basically no chance of having any room mishaps, as they would ensure my room was available, even in a sold-out situation. I flew in to Detroit last night for one of the presentations I do, but due to a recent change in management in the Marketing department that runs these events, they are now booking the rooms for us. I just figured I would show up at the hotel and get them to add the reservation to my account so I'd get the credit for the stay and the points and all that. But when I got there late at night, they told me they were in an oversold situation. The only room they had left was a hospitality suite. That sounded like a nice upgrade to me. But when he sounded apologetic and offered me 7000 Starwood points as compensation, I realized something was wrong. He then told me the catch: the room didn't have a bed. It's a suite meant for hosting small social gatherings. So there's a bathroom, a kitchenette, a living room, and plenty of space. But no bed. But he quickly informed me there would be a roll-away brought in. He asked if I would be okay with it. I realized I didn't have much choice unless I wanted to switch hotels, so I accepted it. Plus, I'm really pretty easy-going when it comes to travel. I'm okay with most things, and it takes a lot to frustrate or aggravate me. I figured it would be nice to have all the space, and I had a LOT of work to do, so I knew I wasn't going to get much of any sleep anyway, and the 7,000 points would be nice to have. So it really wasn't a big deal to me, but I can imagine a lot of customers would have been pretty unhappy. I think he felt extra bad because he knew I was SPG Platinum, but since they didn't know that until I got to the check-in desk, they hadn't reserved a regular room for me knowing I'd be arriving.  It turned out to be fine.  Here I am in my suite with the roll-away bed in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment