Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A Family Connection in Connecticut

I don't often get to travel for work outside of my regular territory, but today my sales rep and I had a meeting in Stamford, CT.  I went to Connecticut once or twice as a little kid, but I certainly don't remember it, so this was essentially my first time.  Some interesting things about Stamford:
  • By some metrics, it is the wealthiest city in America.
  • One out of three residents is foreign-born, and a language other than English is spoken at home by 42% of the population.
  • In 2006 it was the 9th safest city in the US.
  • UBS has its North American headquarters here and its trading floor is the largest column-less trading floor in the world.
  • The Royal Bank of Scotland also has its North American headquarters here.
  • Starwood Hotel and Resorts, Pitney Bowes, and the WWE all have their headquarters here.
  • The Maury Povich Show, The Jerry Springer Show, and The Steve Wilkos Show are all taped here.
  • Meghan's dad grew up here and spent his whole life here until he joined the military.
The last one isn't exactly a famous fact, but it was the most meaningful one to me.  Unfortunately my trip was really short, or I would've liked to have seen the city some more and get some input from Mark on what to do, where to go, and what to see.  We got in pretty late last night, and we did find a pizza place (Atlantic Pizza) that was open late that had pizza by the slice that you could custom order with whatever toppings you wanted from a pretty nice list of options.  So I was able to combine my loves of pizza and Gorgonzola cheese for the first time, which was delicious.  Also, our meeting this morning was really productive, so it's been a good trip, even if it was a short one.

No comments:

Post a Comment