Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Spending a Little Too Much Time with Gerald


Today I went to Grand Rapids for the second time in my life.  The first time I was there, I took a picture of myself with a bust of President Gerald Ford, so I thought it would be fun to reprise that 3.5 years later.  After that, I thought I'd hop on a plane for my layover in Detroit, and then be home in Kansas City by dinner time.  Not so much.  There is rain in Detroit.  Lots of rain.  Historic, disastrous, widespread-flooding amounts of rain.  The metro area nearly broke its all-time daily record, and the airport received more than double the amount it had ever received on any previous day.  Detroit was on a groundstop for hours, with planes from around the country headed for Detroit stuck waiting in their originating airports.  We boarded our plane in Grand Rapids, headed out to the tarmac, sat on the tarmac, came back to the gate, de-boarded the plane, sat in the airport, re-boarded the plane, almost took off, waited on the tarmac again, and then finally five hours after our original flight departure time, we took off for Detroit.  I had long missed my connecting flight home to KC, but the last flight of the day to KC had been delayed enough that I was able to get on it and make it home to sleep in my own bed tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment