Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Oki: Clara's First Boyfriend

When I was at Grandpa and Grandma's yesterday, they showed me a cardboard version of Royals' outfielder Nori Aoki that had been made from some cutouts in a featured section of Sunday's Kansas City Star.  I liked it, so when I got home I made sure to save that page of the Star, thinking it would make for a fun activity to do with the kids (although, to be honest, I thought it was cool enough that even if the kids had no interest, I was going to make it for myself).  Thanks to Ron and Mom's Royals fandom, the kids have seen enough of the games on TV to know some of the players.  They really seem to latch onto Billy Butler, and they also like "Gordo" (Alex Gordon) and "Salvy" (Salvador Perez).  But when I told them the Paper Royal (as the Star called it) was Nori Aoki, they were still excited, especially Clara.  I constructed Nori (it wasn't really something they could help with), and then presented him to the kids.  Hannah was indifferent, and Joshua thought it was pretty cool, but Clara was extremely excited.  She loved him and immediately wanted to hold him and hug him.  She beamed as she showed him off.  She kept calling him "Oki" and looking him in his paper eyes and saying things like, "I love you, Oki!" and telling me "Oki is my best friend and I love him."  I didn't expect there to be love at first sight, but sometimes you can't predict love, I guess.  So he now has a coveted place on our mantle, at least for tonight, to keep him safe and to allow him to rest up for the upcoming ALCS and for the avalanche of love he's getting from his newest admirer.

No comments:

Post a Comment