Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Is This The Real Life? Is This Just Fantasy?

Some things in life are theoretically possible, but they just don't actually happen.  For example, I could theoretically run for President and get elected.  I could theoretically win the lottery (well, if I played, that is).  We could theoretically go from 0 kids to 3 kids in 26 months (okay, fine, bad example).  I could theoretically get promoted to CIO.  I could theoretically die in a plane crash.  But none of that is realistically going to happen (except for the kid thing), so I don't plan for it, worry about it, or think about it.  To me, that's pretty much how it's been for the Royals and the World Series.  Each of the past 15 seasons or so since I've been a Royals fan, when each season started I knew it was technically and theoretically possible for them to go to the World Series, but realistically I knew it wasn't going to happen.  At best it might be, "Hey, they might be able to make a run at a Wild Card this year" while knowing that even if they did that, they'd almost certainly get bounced in the first round, and it'd be over.  This year, they floundered for a lot of the season, occasionally going on a hot streak, but usually following it with a slump, before getting hot at the end of the year and earning one of the Wild Card slots.  Then, they became the first time in MLB history down 4 or more in the 7th inning or later in a winner-take-all game to come back and win, when they beat the A's.  Then they played the mighty Angels and silenced Trout and Pujols to sweep the series.  Then they faced the big bats of the Orioles and shut them down for three games, culminating in Game 4 today.  I had to fly to Louisville today, and I really wanted to see the game, but I couldn't land in time to see it or take off late enough to see it.  So I planned an itinerary with a 3.5 hour layover in Minneapolis to ensure I could watch everything from the 5th inning on.  I found a bar/restaurant showing the game, and I was able to watch the Royals finish the sweep to advance to the World Series!  It was unbelievable.  Anyone who was watching the game in my area was rooting for the Royals, because pretty much all of America is rooting for the Royals now.  After the game, the people around me congratulated me, and several people commented ("Good luck!" and "Congrats!") as I walked to my gate.  I hope we play the Cardinals, because a new I-70 series would be fun, but the Giants are currently leading that series, so we'll see.  But the Royals are in the World Series!!!  Now, about that promotion to CIO...

No comments:

Post a Comment