Sunday, February 2, 2014

Super Letdown

It's not often a fan's team makes the Super Bowl, no matter who your team is.  I was lucky enough to see the Broncos play in, and win, the Super Bowl in the 1997 and 1998 seasons in John Elway's final two years as a player.  Since then, there have been good teams with Jake Plummer and Jay Cutler at the helm (and a few not-so-good teams too), but none have made it back to the big game.  Last year, Peyton Manning's first as a Bronco, they were so close but lost on a heartbreaking play to the Ravens in the AFC Championship game.  But this year they made it all the way.  I was super excited.  I knew the Seahawks would be a tough matchup because of their stout defense.  But I didn't expect what happened.  No one did.  On the first offensive play, the center snapped the ball past Manning when he wasn't ready, resulting in a safety.  And it was downhill from there.  The Broncos never got going and lost 43-8.  They have the best offense in NFL history by almost any measure, and they scored 8 points.  Ugh.  On the plus side, Meghan made some great food.  I mostly ate at the kitchen island or while standing, but I tried to sit down for a bit, and two little bandits quickly swooped in and stole my chips, which pretty much epitomized the day for me.  Oh well.  Hopefully the Broncos can make another run at it next year, as Peyton only has so many good years left in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment