Saturday, November 1, 2014

A Smash-Free Date Day at the Zoo

For my date day with Joshua today, I decided to take him to the zoo, as they were having the Great Pumpkin Smash, which was billed as way to see animals smash, kick, throw, etc. pumpkins.  Despite the name, though, there was no smashing.  I didn't expect the tiny monkeys to smash anything, but I sure thought the elephants would stomp on some pumpkins for us.  But no, no smashing.  The elephants did eat the pumpkins, but that was a disappointment given how the event was billed.  They set up the animals to use the pumpkins in different ways.  These tiny golden lion tamarins ate some berries and worms out of them, and the tiger carried his around and slowly tore it apart.  The snake was not part of the pumpkin festivities, but here Joshua makes a face as I suggest he kiss it.

We took a break to eat lunch, and in the bathroom where we washed hands, they had a contraption to let a kid use his foot to pull down a stepstool so he could reach the sink.  I've seen those in airports, bt never before when I had a kid with me to take advantage of it.  We ate at the Tuxedo Grill, which was surprisingly good.

We continued our adventures, including seeing a porcupine eat a pumpkin, which I have to admit was not on the list of things I thought I might see in my life.  Joshua made a brief stop to be a polar bear, and then we headed over to other parts of the zoo, noticing the nice fall foliage on the way.

As one of the exhibits, I put Joshua on my shoulders, and then we played a game with my phone (using the front-facing camera, of course), where I would make a face and he would emulate it.  He did a really good job of matching me!

As I've done a couple times before, we used our data day time to get Joshua a haircut.  My main hairdresser, Brandy, is leaving my Great Clips location, so I decided we might try a new place, and I chose Sport Clips.  Joshua was a new customer, so he received some complimentary add-ons, including the shampoo (with a vibrating chair that he didn't seem to like), a warm towel wrap, and a massage.  He seemed to like the special treatment, though if we go there regularly, I probably won't be paying for those extra items unless it's some sort of special occasion.

One the way out, I stopped by the gift shop (it's strategically placed in a location that you have to pass on the way out) to see if I could find a cheap but fun souvenir.  After fending off requests for more expensive items, I found a $6 penguin head that you can make it's mouth move by squeezing a trigger.  He loves it.  He makes it pick up things and bite things, but he especially likes making it talk in a silly voice.  And finally, here's a normal picture of us to balance out all the silly ones from above.  It was a really fun day, and we really only saw a small fraction of the zoo, so I think it's likely something we will do more often in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment