Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Davids and Goliath


As we've mentioned before, Joshua really likes the story of David and Goliath.  He has several different children's Bibles, and that tends to be his favorite story in most of them.  He has so many questions: What that sharp thing (the spear)?  Why he wearing a helmet?  Why Goliath falling down?  Why Goliath's eyes closed?  He's fascinated by the whole scenario.  It's also the focus of one of his favorite VeggieTales episodes, Dave and the Giant Pickle.  Tonight after dinner he excitedly asked me if I wanted to play Goliath with him, which sounded fun to me.  Joshua had some specific ideas on how we should play.  He wanted someone to wear a helmet and the other person to pelt that person's helmet with balls from a distance.  He has good aim, but some of the balls are not soft, and also Clara was interested in playing, and her aim is not good, so I suggested some tweaks to that plan.  We began by all donning helmets.  Clara and Joshua wore the traditional stacking block helmets, but none of them fit me, so because we get packages frequently thanks to the beauty of online shopping and Amazon Prime, I was able to find a cardboard box to use as my helmet.  Clearly I was the most stylish.  I let them be co-Davids, and they could gently toss a soft ball at my box, er, helmet from close range.  I then dramatically, and in slow motion, crashed to the ground, and they thought it was hilarious.  At that point they abandoned any desires to play Goliath themselves, though they kept their helmets on, and laughed and laughed as they repeatedly slew me with a soft rubber ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment